Give Your Furnace a Fall Tune Up
Happy Fall! It’s the time of year when those beautiful green leaves begin to change into a colorful dance of color as you wander around outside. It’s the time when many farmers are harvesting. Many people are drinking apple cider, carving pumpkins, watching football games, and exploring corn mazes. It’s also the time of year for you to make sure your furnace is ready to tackle whatever Old Man Winter has in store for you.
Why Does Your Furnace Need a Tune Up?
You probably get your vehicle tuned up before a long drive just to make sure it is in good condition to tackle several miles’ wear and tear that your vehicle might receive from traveling several miles on a trip. You certainly wouldn’t want your vehicle to break down while you are far away from home. Nothing would ruin a vacation more than having to take your vehicle to a shop rather than enjoying time with friends or family. Your HVAC system is just as important or even more so than your vehicle because you count on it every day to keep your home comfortable. There are many reasons to get a Fall tune up for your furnace.
- Better Energy Efficiency – When your unit isn’t running properly, it will use more electricity or gas.
- Lower Energy Bills – When your furnace is running properly, less energy is used which results in lower energy bills.
- Uniform Heating – When your furnace is working properly, the heat should be distributed evenly throughout your home.
- Prevents Major Damage – Often during a tune-up, a technician can identify a small problem and fix it before it causes a much larger problem for your system. Ultimately, a little problem can escalate into something that could destroy a major part to your system.
- Longer Lifespan – Regular maintenance can ensure that your system is working properly which ensures that your system has the potential to last 15 or more years before you need a new one.
Essentially, you deserve to have peace of mind this holiday season while you entertain friends and family in your home that your furnace is going to keep you and your loved ones comfortable all season no matter what comes your way.
What To Expect During Your Furnace Tune Up
You will need to call 731-885-1021 and schedule a tune up for your furnace. It’s better to do this during the months of September and October since HVAC technicians are usually less busy during that time of year, and usually you don’t need your furnace in the South until after that anyway. Once an HVAC technician comes to your house, he or she will check the operations of your furnace. The HVAC technician will turn your heat on to evaluate its condition and do the following:
- Replace filters-provided by owner.
- Inspect ignition burner assembly.
- Examine heat exchanger or heating elements.
- Inspect flue system for any possible issues.
- Inspect for gas leaks with gas furnaces.
- Assess gas pressure.
- Check pulleys and belts if applicable.
- Clear drain lines and pans.
- Check electrical connections.
- Lubricate motors, bearings, and other moving parts.
- Test thermostats and controls to make sure temperatures and timer functions are correctly set.
- Visually inspect for any signs of refrigerant leaks (Heat pumps).
- Check fan and blower operation and adjust as needed.
- Inspect cabinet for leaks, and check cabinet door for secure closure.
- Check for debris around outside unit.
Once your HVAC technician has inspected all of the above, the technician will be able to tell you if there is anything that could prevent your system from working properly. It isn’t a guarantee that your system will never break down, but it is a great early detection system for finding something small that could potentially destroy your furnace. If something major is detected, you will have the time to get it fixed before temperatures dip below freezing.
- How often should you get a furnace tune up? You should get your furnace tuned up every year in the fall, so it is ready for winter weather.
- How long does it take for a tune-up? Usually, a tune up may last around an hour depending on your system and what the technician discovers.
- How much does it cost for a Fall Tune Up? A fall furnace tune up typically costs between $50 and $100.
- How long should a furnace last? Most furnaces last between 10 and 20 years.
Getting your furnace tuned up once a year can provide you with confidence that you have done all that you can do to ensure that your furnace is working properly. A properly operating furnace will put a smile on your face when temperatures are bitterly cold in the winter because you and your family will be basking in the warmth that your furnace can offer you. A properly working furnace is easier on your wallet than one struggling to keep you comfortable. A tune up is relatively inexpensive and doesn’t require a large amount of time. What are you waiting for? LarcomAir is waiting to schedule your fall tune-up. Enjoy your fall!